I love having this blog as a place I can share all of my favourite things. This banana cake recipe is a family favourite, and one that I make often due to the fact that my kids rarely choose to eat fruit! Sometimes they even let the bananas over-ripen on purpose just so I can make this cake. (I know your tricks guys!!)
How brilliant is it when you have a cake that is a hit with all the family that comes straight out of the oven and all it needs is a little cooling before you eat it? The cake doesn’t need the chocolate chips either, I just add those for an extra flair – mostly because chocolate goes with everything in my opinion.
I made this in a 9x9inch cake tin to get squares. I threw out my old loaf tin during the house move, but if I were to make “banana bread” I would use a 2lb loaf tin for this recipe. It just didn’t feel right calling this recipe “banana bread” because it’s very much a cake.
I don’t think I need to say anymore, the recipe is below. If you make it, please leave a comment and let me know what you think.
Chocolate Chip Banana Cake
- 140 g butter softened
- 140 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs large
- 140 g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 over-ripe bananas mashed
- 100 g chocolate chips milk or dark
- Heat the oven to gas mark 4 (180C)
- Butter and line 9×9 cake tin with baking parchment
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy
- Slowly add the two large beaten eggs and a little bit of the flour
- Fold in the rest of the flour, baking powder, bananas, and chocolate chips
- Pour into cake tin and bake for about 30 minutes until done
- Cool and cut into squares to serve