Bert Albert Frederick FLISHER is my great grandfather. He was the son of George Edward FLISHER and Alice Eliza DURRANT. He was born on 10 July 1909 at 19 Fort Pitt Street, Chatham, Kent1.
|When and Where Born||Name||Sex||Name and Surname of Father||Name, Surname and Maiden Name of Mother||Occupation of Father||Informant||When Registered|
|10 July 1909. 19 Fort Pitt Street, Chatham||Bert Albert Frederick||Boy||George FLISHER||Alice FLISHER late ALLARD formerly DURRANT||General labourer||Alice FLISHER. Mother. 19 Fort Pitt Street, Chatham||31 July 1909|
In 1911, Bert Albert Frederick FLISHER was 3 years old living at 61a Best Back Street, Chatham, Kent2 with his parents George and Alice FLISHER and his siblings Emilie Ann ALLARD (from his mother’s first marriage), George James Thomas FLISHER, and John Edward FLISHER (also known as Jack). His half-siblings Florence and Winifred ALLARD have been crossed out, presumably because they were not present at home on the night when the census was taken. There was also some confusion as to how many children were born during the marriage, because George Edward FLISHER and Alice Eliza DURRANT had 3 children together by this point, but they were born before the marriage which took place on 20 November 19103.
|Name and Surname||Relationship to Head||Age||Particulars as to Marriage||Profession or Occupation||Birthplace|
|George Edward FLISHER||Head||42||Married||Carman||Dymchurch, Kent|
|Alice FLISHER||Wife||38||Married under 1 year. ||Rochester, Kent|
|Emilie Ann ALLARD||Step daughter||13||Single||School||Rochester, Kent|
|George James Thomas FLISHER||Son||9||Single||Rochester, Kent|
|John Edward FLISHER||Son||6||Single||Dymchurch, Kent|
|Bert Albert Frederick FLISHER||Son||2||Single||Chatham, Kent|
|Walter Henry HOLDER||Boarder||23||Single||Waggoner mate||Chatham, Kent|
Bert Albert Frederick FLISHER married Alice SPANTON on 14 August 1939 at the Register Office, Maidstone, Kent4.
|When Married||Name and Surname||Age||Condition||Rank or Profession||Residence||Father’s Name and Surname||Rank or Profession of Father|
|14 August 1939||Albert Frederick FLISHER||30||Bachelor||Farm labourer||2 Kingsmans Yard, Upper Stone Street, Maidstone||George FLISHER||Farm labourer|
|Alice SPANTON||27||Spinster||2 Kingsmans Yard, Upper Stone Street, Maidstone||Charles SPANTON (deceased)||Builder’s labourer|
In 1939, Bert Albert Frederick FLISHER and Alice SPANTON (FLISHER) were living at Castlemaine Farm, Horsmonden, Kent5. They were working as land workers and hop pickers. Bert’s mother Alice DURRANT (FLISHER) was also there working as a hop picker along with Bert’s sisters Dinah and Ellen FLISHER. The 3 closed records are Bert and Alice’s 3 eldest children, who are still living.
|Surnames and Other Names||M or F||Date of Birth||S M W or D||Personal Occupation|
|Alice FLISHER||F||09 March 1912||M||Hoppicker|
|Albert F FLISHER||M||10 July 1909||M||Land worker|
Alice SPANTON (FLISHER) died in 1948, and Bert Albert Frederick FLISHER went on to marry two more times. The next marriage was to Ethel Eliza GASSON on 28 February 18496, and the third marriage was to Jane COMBER on 30 June 19617.
Bert Albert Frederick FLISHER died on 27 April 1995 at Pembury Hospital, Pembury, Kent.
|Date and Place of Death:||27 April 1995. Pembury Hospital, Pembury|
|Name and Surname:||Albert Frederick FLISHER|
|Date and Place of Birth:||10 July 1909. Chatham, Kent|
|Occupation and Usual Address:||Farm labourer (retired). 16 Marvillion Court, East Peckham, Kent|
|Name and Surname of Informant:||Albert Frederick FLISHER|
|Usual Address:||19a Egerton Road, Ringlestone, Maidstone, Kent|
|Cause of death:||1a. Carcinomatosis. b. Carcinoma of the bronchus|
|Date of Registration:||01 May 1995|
|Wife:||Alice SPANTON 1912-1948|
|Father:||George Edward FLISHER 1869-1952|
|Mother:||Alice Eliza DURRANT 1873-1947|
Please note that all content on this site is copyright protected. The information is shared on this site to assist with family history research, but the text and images remain the property of the author and are not to be used without permission.
- Births (CR) England. Chatham, Kent. 10 July 1909. FLISHER, Bert Albert Frederick. Entry no. 282.
- Census Records. England. Medway, Kent. 02 April 1911. FLISHER, George Edward (head). RD 47. PN 3902. ED 18. SN 252. http://www.ancestry.co.uk : accessed 20 November 2020.
- Marriages (CR) England. Chatham, Kent. 20 November 1910. FLISHER, George Edward and ALLARD [Durrant], Alice. Entry no. 8.
- Marriages (CR) England. Maidstone, Kent. 14 August 1939. FLISHER, Albert Frederick and SPANTON, Alice. Entry no. 127.
- 1939 Register. England & Wales. Tonbridge, Kent. FLISHER, Albert. 29 September 1939. DJYJ 50/3. National Archives (Great Britain), Kew, England. Collection: 1939 Register. http://www.ancestry.co.uk : accessed 07 September 2020.
- Marriages (CR) England. Tonbridge, Kent. 28 February 1949. FLISHER, Albert Frederick and MILLER, Ethel Eliza.
- Marriage Index (CR) England & Wales. Maidstone, Kent. 2nd Q., 1961. FLISHER, Albert F. and WELLS, Beatrice J. Vol 5b. p. 1246. Collection: England & Wales, Civil Registration Marriage Index, 1916-2005. http://www.ancestry.co.uk : accessed 25 March 2021.